Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Vintage Apron - What I Learned



I had it in my head that for my inaugural sewing project, I had to make a vintage apron. Most sewing books (Sewing for Dummies, for sure) recommend a pillow or something equally straight forward. Nope, not me. Gimme that vintage pattern that may or may not have all of the pieces, and let's DO IT! (imagine fist pumps, ok?)

I spent 5 hours making this apron, and I'm still not happy with it.

Learn from my mistakes, people.
-First, sew the damn pillow.
-Second, if you must sew the apron, pre-wash your fabric. At the time, we didn't have on-site laundry, so my impatience got the better of me.
-Third, learn about your hem allowances. Don't guesstimate the first time.
-Fourth, don't choose a fabric with horizontal lines. Tricky to match up and make sure everything is heading in the right direction.

So, here's the finished product:



Say hello to Alex P. Kitten's butt.





Baby yellow rick-rack. Which I love.


A little too nurse-y. Not flattering. But I think a lot of that has to do with not pre-washing the fabric, as it looks a bit stiff. Anyway, live and learn. Next project, much better. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I think you did a fine job on that vintage apron. I wear a very similar style (a little longer) over my (uniform) dress.
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute blog! And I had to comment on this post because I greatly admire your bravery. I have attempted a number of sewing projects in the past few years, BUT all of them are either a square or a rectangle. Patterns are scary!!!

    ReplyDelete